Thursday, July 12, 2018 — Epic Games is excited to announce the launch of Fortnite’s Season 5 is finally here! Players can drop in now and find all kinds of changes to the Battle Royale map. A Viking ship, desert outpost, ancient statues have appeared on the island, and Moisty Mire has been hit with a drought, bringing with it a brand new desert outpost.
Check out the annoucment trailer below
The New Season, new Battle Pass. 100 levels, over 100 new rewards. Available in-game right now for 950 V-Bucks.
Fortnite’s first four-person vehicle has also arrived! Players can hop in a zippy All Terrain Kart (ATK) with their squad and uncover all-new mysteries and locations… the possibilities are endless!
A new season means a new Battle Pass! Packed with more than 100 rewards, including all new toys and cosmetics, players can pick up the Battle Pass for 950 V-bucks to start earning rewards.
The main features of season 5 include
- All Terrain Kart (ATK)
- The new All Terrain Kart (ATK) has room for your entire squad.
- Get a speed boost after drifting.
- The roof acts as a bounce pad.
- Work together as rear passengers to leap over obstacles with the All Terrain Kart (ATK). Lean back and release at the same time for a higher jump.
- Lean back by holding S on keyboards or holding back on the thumbstick for controllers.
- Map Updated
- New Biome: Desert
- New Location: Paradise Palms
- New Location: Lazy Links
- A few unnamed POIs have also appeared across the island.
- Minimap Updated
- The center of Storm circles 7, 8, and 9 can now shift in random directions (instead of simply shrinking). As the storm closes in, it will move & shrink to the new location.
- Starting in Season 5, progressive challenges will no longer be restricted to a single season. You can now complete progressive challenges at your own pace.
- Progressive challenges are now completed by acquiring a fixed amount of XP and is no longer dependant on your season level.
- Gyro/motion controls have been added to the Nintendo Switch. Adjust these options in the Settings menu.
- Weekly challenges are now split into two sections, free and Battle Pass. The first 3 challenges will be available for free while the last 4 are only available if you own the Battle Pass. The threshold to unlock the weekly challenge reward will remain at 4.
- Down But Not Out players now have smaller collision. Previously their collision was at the standing height which blocked DBNO players from crawling under doors and blocked building collision in some cases.
- Players that were crouching when knocked Down But Not Out will be returned to a crouching state upon revival.
- Emoting will now interrupt sprinting.
- You now earn XP for reviving teammates in 50v50 and Teams of 20 LTMs up to three times per match (30XP, 10XP, 10XP).
- Weapon reticle will now fade slightly when reloading, out of ammo, or changing weapons.
- The player camera can now see out of the water when walking in lakes.
- Launch Pads and Cozy Campfires now destroy overlapping small objects when placed.
- Reduced trigger volume for floor Damage Trap to better match visuals and prevent triggering when standing on ledges above.
- Supply Llamas now fall to the ground if the object they were standing on is destroyed.
- Autorun will no longer cancel if you let go of the stick and it slightly flicks backward while using a gamepad.
- Fixed issue where Autorun could be active while using a Shopping Cart.
- The first Storm circle will now consistently do 1 damage.
- Players will no longer get stuck in a doorway if they were standing in it when the door closed.
- Fixed an issue that prevented some weapon animations from playing.
- Autorun can no longer be activated while walking backward.
- Textures will now consistently appear correctly while in Edit Mode.
- Fixed a crash that could occur when logging out.
Check out the full patch notes for today’s update can be found here.
Date published: 12/07/18
Written by: Joseph Opoku
Source: (1) From: Indigo, For Epic Games [Gamespress, Press Release]